Email Marketing is the oldest method when compared with other modules in Digital Marketing. Being the oldest, it is yet the best method to have personal connect with your users. I am gonna walk you through the 10 utmost steps of email marketing.
- Email list
- Subject line
- Social Media
- Automation tools
So let’s get started
How to grow your email list
Growing your list organically is the most effective way to build a successful mailing list. This way you are in touch with users who are interested in your offer and maintain their engagement.
Did you know that your email list naturally degrades by about 22.5% every year?
People change email addresses as they move from one company to another. They unsubscribe. They don’t really use the email or misspelled it while subscribing. This is why you should constantly grow your email list.
Ran out of ideas or want to grow your mailing list from scratch? Read about some best practices how to grow your list.
- 15 Tested and Proven Ways to Build Your Subscriber List
- Why buying email lists is always a bad idea (and how to build yours for free)
- How to create a killer email list from thin air
- How to get 100k email subscribers in 5 months
- 5 Fail-proof strategies for increasing your email open rate
- 15 Quick tips to convert visitors into email subscribers
02 / How to write email subject lines to increase open rate
Keep the subject line short, descriptive and clearly state what’s inside the email.
Around 55% of people read email on mobile devices. iPhone cuts off subject lines after 35 characters in portrait view but displays about 140 characters of preheader. Good preheader text increases click-through rates by over 30% and reduces spam complaints.
A strict no to “no-reply” email.
Not only do you show your recipients that you don’t care about what they think or want to ask you, “no-reply” email addresses also hurt your email reputation and deliverability.
Provide an email address that’s linked to a real, live inbox and is being checked often. Even better if you add a person to the sender name. The opening rate increased by 28% when email was sent from a human being comparing to the letter sent from a general marketing alias.
- Why do people open emails?
- How to write catchy e-mail subject lines and increase open rates
- 10 Tips for improving your subject line
- You’ve got mail: 5 things your subject lines are missing
- 8 Subject line secrets that entice people to read your email
- 17 Tips & best practices for writing catchy email subject lines
- Sneaking a peek at my Inbox: what types of email subject lines should you be using?
- Email preheader best practices for e-commerce marketers
- A practical guide to preheaders
- 5 Preheader text ideas to increase your email effectiveness
03 / How to improve your email content
It’s ok to sell. If people subscribe to an e-commerce site, they expect you to sell. But don’t make them feel as a marketing target. Send an email that you would like to get yourself.
Use 70% – 30% rule for your email content.
70% of emails should give value, make them smile and surprise them. 30% of emails can sell. Sure, you can’t predict when someone needs your brand. Humans are complicated. Just make your audience curious to open your next email.
- 8 Brain secrets that will turbocharge email conversions
- What techniques make your email campaign relevant
- How to write a marketing email: 10 tips for writing compelling email copy
- 89 Tricks for email etiquette – the ultimate guide
- How to make your audience fall in love with you through email marketing
04 / How to design email campaigns that convert
Our eyes are constantly moving and looking for fun. Make your reader’s eyes stop for a sec. There are some things that makes your newsletter to stand out and communicate your message.
90% of information transmitted to your brain is visual.
See how you implement that in your emails:
- 12 Brands that have mastered GIFs in email marketing
- 25 Wonderful examples of animated GIFs in email marketing
- 13 Of the best examples of beautiful email design
- Video block in an email: why you should use it?
05 / Best practices for effective Call-To-Action
Having an effective call to action is an essential part of any email marketing campaign. It’s the final gateway before a reader converts. Readers typically just quickly scan the email, rather than reading it all.
When a person opens an email, one of the first things that he/she should see is CTA.
Know what you aim to achieve in sending an email. Just one main thing. And provide clear CTA for your customer.
- 30 Call-To-Action examples you can’t help but click
- Click here: 16 hacks that’ll get your Call-To-Action buttons clicked
- How to create the perfect Call-To-Action
- 13 Little-known Call-To-Action hacks (and where to use them)
06 / How to use email automation
Imagine a new client sign up to your mailing list but doesn’t receive any confirmation or welcome email. Now the person feels like you don’t care about him.
Most automation campaigns involve the sending of triggered emails, usually in response to a user’s browsing and purchase behavior on a website.
Here the email automation comes to the rescue. It has almost infinite potential for introducing yourself, onboarding, and engaging with customers.
Find out the best practices in email automation and how to make it personal:
- The fundamentals of the first email
- Making marketing automation work: how to keep it personal
- 12 Noteworthy examples of fetching fashion welcome emails
- Epic automation fails – the biggest mistakes online retailers make)
07 / Smart email marketing segmentation
Segmenting your mailing list makes it easy to send your subscribers content that they care about (and at the right time).
Segmented email sends usually receive 14% more opens, 64% higher clicks and 9% fewer unsubscribes than unsegmented ones. Also, it reduces the number of spam complaints.
There is an overwhelming number of ways you can segment your list. You should think about the relevant segments while building it. An online fashion retailer, for instance, can get great results segmenting on gender. Showing the men’s items to men and women’s’ items to women. But if they combine it with size and style preferences they can level up to even better results.
Discover more great ways how you can segment your mailing list in the articles below.
- The 20 lists every email marketer should build
- 5 Ways segmentation and personalization can supercharge emails
- 50 Smart ways to segment your email list like a pro
- Smart email marketing segmentation, the art of
- How to use email segmentation to increase your conversion rate
08 / How do you personalize a campaign
It is a must that your readers feel that there is an actual person behind your brand.
No one likes receiving standard bulk emails that are sent to everybody. When evaluating brands, consumers primarily use emotions, personal feelings, and experiences, rather than information – brand attributes, features, and facts.
- 11 Personalized email examples you can’t help but click
- Putting a human touch on email marketing
- Personalized email communications drive click rates 241% higher than standard email messages
- Four ways to make your newsletters impressively personal
- 6 Email personalization techniques that go beyond a name
09 / How to successfully integrate email and social media
You can’t ignore social media. They make your customers more engaged, but…
Remember that you don’t own social media. What does it mean? You don’t own the database of your fans on Facebook and followers on Twitter. Thus, it’s better to collect their emails and get control.
- 10 Clever ways to use social media to grow your email list
- Why should you integrate social media marketing and email?
- 3 Useful examples of brands combining email with social media
- Newsletters and social media aren’t the same — so why do so many marketers treat them that way?
- How to integrate email marketing with your social media efforts
10 / How to choose right email marketing platform
After all above points, here is where your efforts will show off, choosing a right platform for email marketing is as important as choosing a right partner for you.
Right platforms for Email marketing
Here some good email marketing platform market leaders
So, I tried to cover the 10 utmost steps of Email Marketing, I hope this post has given you a good introduction to the email marketing, steps, and procedures. Do shout out in the comment box for any feedback or suggestion to improve this article. Meanwhile, start some practical with demo accounts on any these platform to understand this article better. GetResponse | MailerLite | Drip.co